Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A More Permanent Kool Aid Dye

Most of us, when we were little, did the thing with a friend where you mix up some Kool Aid and conditioner in a Dixie cup and rub it into your hair. That color would usually last a couple weeks and then be done, either fading or washing out in the shower, or both.

Today I am going to be giving you a more lasting recipe for Kool Aid hair color. I thought this up myself thinking of all the other ways I've applied color to my hair.

You Will Need:

- 1 and 1/2 packs of whatever color you want your hair Kool Aid
   - The more hair youre doing the more you will need
- Water
- Conditioner
- Detangler (optional)
- Heat protectant (optional)
- A Flat Iron (or blow dryer but iron is better)
- Tin Foil (only if using flat iron)
- Something to mix in and with
- A shirt you don't mind staining



Instructions:

1) Mix your kool aid and just enough water to make it clumpy in your bowl



2) Add a couple drops of conditioner (if you're not adding detangler then add enough to make it a smooth but thick consistency) and (if you are adding detangler) add enough detangler to make it a smooth but thick consistency

   2.5) Pin up all hair not being colored out of the way + see step 4 before you're all messy



3) Apply liberally to the section of hair you're coloring



4) wrap plates of flat iron with tin foil then turn on



5) If only doing a section of your hair: gently close the flat iron on your hair, but DO NOT SWIPE DOWN as if straightening your hair. Instead, you will want to move down the hair section by section heating it. Do so until you can hear the heats affect on the hair. Do this a couple times down the length of your hair



Alternate 5) If doing whole head: (never actually done this but it should work) at this point you would have coated your whole head with the mixture. Pop a shower cap or plastic bag over your hair and go to bed. ---- Next Morning ---- release your hair from the shower cap. It should be a fruity colorful greasy disaster. Blow dry and comb until its as dry as you can get it, let sit for like 30m, blow dry again, then shower with only hot water (note: do not scold your head obviously, cold water will cause it to wash out (only this first shower though) though which is bad after the initial coloring process.) Do not scrub vigorously during initial shampooing. Condition regularly. Do not towel dry, instead pat the dampness out then blow dry. Youre done! It would be best to follow the shower and drying instructions for your first couple showers but I don't think it will be necessary. If you try this please let me know how it turns out! If not then I'm sorry you wasted some time and kool aid lol. Could be worse.

Optional 6) Gently apply heat protectant, blot off excess, flat iron by section again.

7) Shower with hot water. Rinse that section of the hair then apply lots of conditioner, try to keep out of then way while shampooing. Condition hair as normal.

8) Do not towel dry, pat away dampness and blow dry. Wouldn't hurt to flat iron and heat protectant it again.

DONE!!! :D






I apologize for not having as many pictures in this one, it was very messy and I didn't want to gunk up my screen taking pics with my messy kool aid fingers.


How I thought of this:

I was thinking of all the ways you can apply color to your hair and how dyes work and other ways of coloring hair. I came to thinking about products that absorb into your hair and wondered, why not add kool aid and see how it works? The part about heating it came from the way I used semi-permanent dye for the first time. I didn't know how to make the color stick it would always wash out, so I had started flat ironing it while the color was in and that would make it stick! So I combined those thoughts in this experimental tutorial. I predict this will last quite some time but I'm not 100% sure how long lol. If you can think of any ways the tutorial can be improved, let me know! :D thanks for reading, guys

10 comments:

  1. Did it ever wash out in the shower? Like did the water ever turn red?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to try it! Hopefully my mom doesn't kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This method also works with "semi/demi" permanent hair colors. The heat from the flat iron opens each hairs' cuticle, letting it absorb the dye deeper. As a result you get more saturated, longer lasting, and faster processing hair color. It's pretty much the same effect as playing in the sink with a sponge and dish soap.if that makes any sense. Another option is to leave dye in hair for longer than suggested time, not bleach though. Add heat like a hair dryer to bleach...any other color go ahead... and one last thing if you have any "repair" or "color safe" conditioner, add 1-3 Tablespoons to your dye- doesn't dilute the color, and saves your hair from unnecessary damage. NOT "after color"(save that for after obviously...) when I dye. You hair 4 or 5 colors at once in a pinwheel technique my hair comes out awesome! Good luck and wish me some too cuz I'm about to try out this idea!! Thanks for reading my little rant hope it helps!!

    ReplyDelete